Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Math & Everything Else

For some time I've been enamored of the idea that animate and inanimate objects in our universe can be explained and perceived through math.

More specifically, I am convinced that math is at the heart of both literature and music. However, aside from a personal theory, I have no basis on which to prove my premise, but I am nevertheless convinced.

Tonight I stumbled upon a popular 20th century Dutch painter by the name of M.C. Escher. I have seen his paintings before but never knew the name of the painter or the inspiration behind is paintings.

Escher incorporates math and mathematical theories into many of his paintings in the form of shapes and illusions. His paintings are an example of math expressed through a medium that is not mere numbers or geometric shapes (although Escher does employ the use of geometric shapes routinely).

I look forward to reading more about this dude. Perhaps his ideas can help me mold a theory that could reasonably explain the relationship between math and literature or math and music.



No comments:

Post a Comment