Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Three New Languages

Trying to learn criminal law, civil procedure and tort law is like learning three different languages at the same time.

When you start studying a new language you must recalibrate your brain to think differently. That's why it's so hard. You're used to thinking a certain way, but the mechanics of a new language disrupt the brain's status quo. It's like throwing a wrench into a running engine. Think of the sound it makes!

So everyday I open my books and start reading cases and it seriously takes an hour for my brain to recalibrate to "criminal mode" or "tort mode." I can hear the clamor in my head.

Why? I don't know exactly, probably because each area of law has it's own vocabulary, rules and exceptions just like a language.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment